Construction Maintenance Worker - Various Departments
City of Newport News
City: Newport News
Web Page: http://nnva.gov/jobs
Job Description:What types of positions are the City currently filling?
The City is looking to add all levels of Construction Maintenance Workers to our Public Works, Waterworks, and Parks, Recreation and Tourism departments!
What division would I work in within the City?
Construction Maintenance Workers are essential to the City’s operation and function in many of our divisions!
• Solid Waste
• Street Maintenance
• Parks, Recreation and Tourism
What does Construction Maintenance Worker do?
• You will perform a variety of maintenance depending on the division
- Maintenance, repair and installation of sewer system assets
- Performs masonry work
- Repairs manholes and force mains
o Solid Waste
- Maintains refuse and recycling collection containers
- Assist with collections
- Perform landfill and compost site maintenance
- Manual labor
- Remove debris and clear vegetation
- Responds to inquiries and questions from the public
o Streets Maintenance
- Asphalt and concrete work
- Leaf, snow and debris collection
- Utility locating
- Field inspections
- Repair of storm sewer lines
- Cleaning ditches and storm drains
o Parks, Recreation and Tourism
- General custodial duties
- Collecting, emptying, and disposing of trash
- Removing debris and litter
- Cleaning restrooms and picnic areas
- Inspect for safety concerns
- Serve as lead worker for community service workers
- Assist with special events
- Grounds and landscaping work
- Pipeline and easement maintenance(erosion control)
- Reservoir maintenance
• Operate a variety of equipment not limited to:
o Weed Eaters
o Line, dump, valve and hydrant trucks
o Snow plows
o Jack hammers
o Air compressors
o Sand spreaders
o Single and tandem axle dump trucks
o Various hand power tools
o Pickup trucks
• Perform preventative maintenance on equipment
• Follow safety procedures and regulations
Construction Maintenance Worker levels, salaries, and qualifications:
Construction Maintenance Worker I $24,000-$40,000 Requires a high school diploma and 1 year of related construction maintenance experience or an equivalent combination of education and experience.
Construction Maintenance Worker II $25,000-$42,000 Requires a high school diploma and 2 years of related construction maintenance experience or an equivalent combination of education and experience.
Construction Maintenance Worker, Senior $28,000-$48,000 Requires a high school diploma and 2-4 years of related construction maintenance experience or an equivalent combination of education and experience.
What other qualifications are required for this position?
• All divisions require a valid driver’s license with an acceptable driving record
• Some divisions may require a background check, medical screening or substance abuse testing
• Ability to work during and following natural disasters and emergency situations
Interested in becoming a Construction Maintenance Worker, but don’t have your CDL?
We can help with that! The City of Newport News will send you through training with one of our approved vendors to obtain your license! You just need to complete the permit portion of the test through DMV prior to employment!
What other certifications will I earn in this position?
• National Incident Management System(NIMS) Incident Command System Certification
• Virginia Department of Transportation(VDOT) Flagger and Basic Work Zone Traffic Control Certification